Saturday, September 19, 2009

Blueberry Cheesecake Smoothie


We interrupt this foodgasm to bring you this special report:

Cashews are my new best friends.

I'd read about various ways of using cashews to sub for dairy - cashew cream, cashew "cheese", but I was a little skeptical. There's just a bit of "What the??" factor to the idea of making cheese from ... nuts. Maybe something for crazy hardcore vegan people, but me?

Then The Fast One bought some trail mix with raw cashews in it. I had to admit, those things were pretty creamy, all right. A bag of the curvy fellas soon found its way into my shopping cart.

Then, this morning, hours of procrastination kinda ruled out pancakes for breakfast. Inspiration hit. I had no inkling how awesome the results would be. Simple ingredients, no added sugar, full of nutrients, and omg delish. WIN!


Blueberry Cheesecake Smoothie
Blender
1/3 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
dash salt
fresh lemon zest
1 T. ground flax (optional)

Cashews. OJ. Blend. Salt. Blueberries. Zest. Blend.

The flax was added for nutritional purposes only. It made the texture grainy, but I think it's a fair trade-off. Salt is key; if you're not getting cheesecakey goodness, you probably need more.

This could be made with more OJ for a more drinkable consistency, or less for a more sorbet-like dessert. I made mine somewhere in the middle.

Also available in Cherry Lime Cheesecake

Now, imagine how good the results could've been if I'd at ALL known what I was doing? Certainly, further research into the wonders of the cashew is on my to-do list. Could I really enjoy a pasta cream sauce again???

No comments:

Post a Comment